May 18, 2022
Annual Salary Range: $70,506 – $104,761
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy (R&E) is seeking a full-time Planning Specialist to manage complex projects from planning to completion and support core functions of the R&E organization through project management, facilitation, engagement, analysis and evaluation.
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy (R&E) is a joint powers entity formed by Ramsey and Washington counties. R&E coordinates recycling and waste programs between the two counties (these programs are called Joint Activities). R&E owns and operates the Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy Center (R&E Center) in Newport, Minnesota. The R&E Center is a municipal solid waste (MSW) processing facility that manages over 450,000 tons of MSW annually.
R&E’s vision is vibrant, healthy communities without waste. When you work for R&E, you are a part of an organization committed to managing our waste in ways that benefit people, support the local economy and protect the environment. R&E offers a generous benefit package, a collaborative and welcoming work culture and the structure of local government with the feel of a small, progressive business. R&E works to achieve its vision through partnerships and innovation.
As a Planning Specialist, you will work collaboratively with R&E staff, county staff, consultants and partners to manage R&E projects across the organization using project management, analysis and evaluation tools. This includes leading and supporting the delivery of Joint Activities projects (including the upcoming flagship Food Scraps Pickup Program for residential organics recycling) and projects related to R&E Center operations. This position will also evaluate R&E services, programs, budgets and resources to develop recommendations for improvement to outcomes and conduct other tasks as assigned.
This is a new position, and the successful candidate will have the ability to develop the position in coordination with the existing Planning Specialist and Joint Activities Manager. A hybrid work schedule will be considered for this position.
An ideal candidate will have:
- Experience in project management, from planning through completion, with a team
- Experience with successfully developing planning documents and using tools within the project management discipline
- Ability to work effectively in multi-departmental and/or multi-organization team settings – i.e., completing projects with people that report to multiple managers, housed in multiple departments across an organization, and/or employed by multiple organizations
- Ability to creatively problem-solve, find efficient solutions and achieve consensus for solutions within a team
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities
- Ability to quickly comprehend and assimilate large volumes of new materials, set priorities and develop and present pertinent information in clear and concise terms
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft suite of products (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Teams) and proficiency in the use of project management software and online collaboration tools, or willingness to learn and develop skills in this area
Additional desired qualifications:
- A current project management certification, e.g., Project Management Institute (PMI) Project Management Professional (PMP) or similar, and/or interest in developing professional project management skills
- Experience in analyzing research, data and data trends and making recommendations because of those analyses
- Experience in preparing and recommending project budgets and/or cost estimates
- Experience with completing evaluations of existing, implemented programs
- Experience with procurement/vendor management (request for proposals/bids, contract development, contract negotiations, contract oversight/enforcement, etc.)
- Proficiency with leading and/or supporting group facilitation, community engagement and/or stakeholder engagement for planning or projects
Education and Experience:
A valid class-D driver’s license is required.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Public Health, Sociology, Environmental Science, Environmental Health, Natural Sciences, Political Science or a closely related field.
Experience: Six years of experience in project management, public sector planning, public sector service delivery, contract management or a closely related field. Preference given for relative experience in solid waste management and environmental fields.
Substitution: Post-high school education and four additional years of relevant work experience can substitute for a bachelor’s degree. A Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Public Policy, Public Health, Sociology, Environmental Science, Environmental Health, Natural Sciences or Political Science may substitute for two years of the required experience.
A detailed job description can be found here.
Position open until filled.
To apply for an R&E job, all of the following are required to be completed.
- Complete the job application
- Thoroughly answer all supplemental questions
- Send job application and supplemental questions to Human Resources by emailing completed application and supplemental questions to HR@recyclingandenergy.org.
The job description and supplemental questions are both fillable-PDFs. Learn how to use fillable PDFs. You may also print the application and supplemental questions and complete them.
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy provides equal access to employment, programs and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, public assistance or national origin.