May 12, 2021
100 Red Rock Road, Newport, MN
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy (R&E) has an opening for a full-time Industrial Electrician at the Recycling & Energy Center (R&E Center) located in Newport, MN. Electricians are responsible for routine electrical equipment maintenance and repair at the R&E Center.
R&E is a joint powers entity formed by Ramsey and Washington Counties. R&E coordinates recycling and waste programs between the two counties (joint activities), and owns and operates the Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy Center (R&E Center) in Newport, Minnesota (recyclingandenergy.org). The R&E Center manages more than 450,000 tons of trash per year. At the R&E Center, trash is processed to recover recyclable metals and to make refuse-derived fuel which is used to generate electricity. Through this system, R&E is maximizing the recovery of resources and diverting as much as possible from landfills. The R&E Center is the only facility of its kind in the state. R&E’s vision is vibrant, healthy communities without waste, and the R&E Center accomplishes R&E’s mission through partnerships and innovation.
This position will work either second or third shift. It is a union position, and the pay is $42.44 to $45.54 per hour with shift differential of $1.55/hour when working the second shift and $2.25/hour when working the third shift.
As an electrician, your duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Perform maintenance work in accordance with R&E Board policies and procedures.
- Lead the inspection of electrical systems, equipment, or components to identify hazards, defects, or the need for adjustment or repair, and to ensure compliance with MN state codes.
- Maintain and repair plant 120v, 480v and 4160v electrical equipment including breakers, transformers, wiring, fuses, lighting, ground fault testing and phase cross checks along with documenting electrical equipment maintenance.
- Maintain full knowledge of all applicable electrical and NFPA code requirements including electrical test equipment such as ammeters and voltmeters.
- Perform high voltage switching up as required while complying with the Lockout/ Tagout policy and procedures.
To qualify for this position you must possess a high school diploma or equivalent with post high school training a plus; have five years of electrical experience; be a State of Minnesota Licensed Electrician with a Class “A” Master, a Class “A” Journeyman, or a Maintenance Electrician License; be able to work in a wide range of climatic conditions; be able to work overtime, weekends and holidays as the needs of the plant dictate; be able to work well with others and possess good interpersonal skills. A positive attitude, good safety awareness and strong work ethic are additional success factors.
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer-paid life insurance, employer-paid short- and long-term disability insurance and tax-deferred compensation. Employees of Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy participate in the Minnesota Public Employees Retirement Association (P.E.R.A.) pension plan. Both the employee and the employer make contributions in accordance with current legislative requirements.
Position will remain open until filled.
A detailed job description can be found here.
1. Complete the employment application
2. Send job application to Human Resources through one of the following methods:
- Email completed application to HR@recyclingandenergy.org, or
- Mail or hand-deliver completed application to the R&E Center Human Resources Department at 100 Red Rock Road, Newport, MN 55055
The application is a fillable PDF. Click here to learn how to use fillable PDFs. You may also print the application and complete it.
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy provides equal access to employment, programs and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, public assistance or national origin.