May 10, 2021
100 Red Rock Road, Newport, MN 55055
Annual Salary Range: $82,000 – $114,291
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy (R&E) is searching for a qualified and dynamic leader to serve as Operations Supervisor of the Recycling & Energy Center (R&E Center) in Newport, MN. This position reports to the R&E Center Facility Manager.
R&E is a joint powers entity formed by Ramsey and Washington Counties. R&E coordinates recycling and waste programs between the two counties (joint activities), and owns and operates the Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy Center (R&E Center) in Newport, Minnesota (recyclingandenergy.org). The R&E Center manages more than 450,000 tons of trash per year. At the R&E Center, trash is processed to recover recyclable metals and to make refuse-derived fuel which is used to generate electricity. Through this system, R&E is maximizing the recovery of resources and diverting as much as possible from landfills. The R&E Center is the only facility of its kind in the state. R&E’s vision is vibrant, healthy communities without waste, and the R&E Center accomplishes R&E’s mission through partnerships and innovation.
The ideal candidate will have solid waste industry experience, leadership skills, and experience supervising operations and personnel in an industrial facility – preferably in a union environment.
This is professional work including, but not limited to the following:
- Support leadership and safety initiatives for R&E and the R&E Center.
- Promote a positive and trusting culture through leading by example and fostering a spirit of cooperation between staff and between staff and supervisors.
- Accomplish production results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; initiating, coordinating, and enforcing systems, policies, and procedures.
- Direct plant operations in accordance with Recycling and Energy (R&E) Board policies and procedures.
- Set schedules, distribute work assignments, establish priorities; monitor progress; resolve problems; and ensure work is completed on time.
- Promote, teach and enforce work safety rules, codes, standards and work practices.
- Resolve disputes with haulers, transportation companies, employees, and others as needed in accordance with R&E Board policy and procedures.
- Assist with the annual budget as directed by the Facility Manager.
- Maintain operations records.
- Conduct plant inspections as required.
- Ensure facility operations comply with all local, state and federal laws, permits and regulations.
- Maintain and monitor the equipment and related processes that have been assigned.
Education: Must possess high school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Must have three to five years industrial production facility experience including the operation and maintenance of material handling equipment.
Other: Must pass R&E physical examination and security screening. Positions in this job class are subject to drug and alcohol testing. Testing negative on required tests is a condition of employment.
A detailed job description can be found here: Plant Operations Supervisor
Position open until filled. Applicants should respond promptly as the initial review of applications and supplemental questions will occur on June 7, 2021.
To apply for an R&E job, all of the following are required to be completed.
- Complete the job application
- Thoroughly answer all supplemental questions
- Send job application and supplemental questions to Human Resources by emailing completed application and supplemental questions to HR@recyclingandenergy.org.
The job description and supplemental questions are both fillable-PDFs. Learn how to use fillable PDFs. You may also print the application and supplemental questions and complete them.
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy provides equal access to employment, programs and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, public assistance or national origin.