November 17, 2023
Pay Range: $44,423.28 – $67,194.21
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy (R&E) is currently accepting applications for an Accounting Specialist to provide various accounting and bookkeeping functions. Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy (R&E) is a joint powers entity formed by Ramsey and Washington counties. R&E coordinates recycling and waste programs between the two counties and owns and operates the Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy Center in Newport, Minnesota.
R&E’s vision is vibrant, healthy communities without waste. When you work for R&E, you are a part of an organization committed to managing our waste in ways that benefit people, support the local economy, and protect the environment. We offer a generous benefit package, a collaborative and welcoming work culture, and the structure of local government with the feel of a small, progressive business.
This position works closely with the Accounting Manager and will administer and support various aspects of accounting and bookkeeping functions including, but not limited to: auditing and processing bills and claims, posting transactions, and balancing and reconciling accounts in order to issue and receive payments and maintain appropriate accounting and bookkeeping records relating to county-wide or departmental accounting activities; and assisting in assembling and analyzing data and budget information.
This position is based at the R&E Center in Newport and has potential hybrid remote options available.
The successful candidate will have a strong knowledge of bookkeeping principles and procedures, accuracy with mathematical calculations, high attention to detail, effective verbal and written communications skills, strong analytical skills, and the ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
Examples of work performed by this position:
- Audit bills, claims and related documents by recalculating and reviewing them to ensure accuracy of transactions and conformance with relevant payment conditions.
- Maintain general, control and subsidiary books of account by posting and monitoring transactions, distributing charges and calculating encumbrances.
- Balance accounts by computing totals and comparing results to external controls in order to ensure accuracy of accounts and to identify discrepancies.
- Reconcile account discrepancies by identifying errors, tracing errors to their sources, obtaining correct data and entering corrections.
- Prepare payment documents such as accounts payable forms, purchase orders, requisitions, claims, and similar items to initiate payments.
- Create accounts receivable documents for billable items by calculating rates, collecting and compiling data and preparing invoices.
- Prepare periodic reports to document transactions and budget conditions.
- Assemble information to assist in making cost projections and summarizing financial and statistical activity for use in budget preparation and other reports.
- Research costs for planned purchases by contacting potential vendors and analyzing information in terms of best cost/benefit outcome.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Three years of accounting/bookkeeping experience.
Substitution: Graduation from a recognized 2-year Accounting /Bookkeeping program may substitute for two of the three years of experience required. A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Bookkeeping or a related field may substitute for the three-year experience requirement.
A detailed job description can be found here.
Position open until filled. Initial review of applications will begin December 8, 2023.
To apply for an R&E job, all of the following are required to be completed.
- Complete the job application
- Thoroughly answer all supplemental questions
- Send job application and supplemental questions to Human Resources by emailing completed application and supplemental questions to HR@recyclingandenergy.org.
The job description and supplemental questions are both fillable-PDFs. Learn how to use fillable PDFs. You may also print the application and supplemental questions and complete them.
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy provides equal access to employment, programs and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, public assistance or national origin.