February 4, 2022
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy (R&E) has an opening for a full-time Processor Apprentice at the Recycling & Energy Center (R&E Center) located in Newport, MN. This apprentice program is a two-year training program where you will learn the skills required to become a Journeyman Processor.
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy (R&E) is a joint powers entity formed by Ramsey and Washington counties. R&E coordinates recycling and waste programs between the two counties and owns and operates the Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy Center in Newport, Minnesota.
R&E’s vision is vibrant, healthy communities without waste. When you work for R&E, you are a part of an organization committed to managing our waste in ways that benefit people, support the local economy, and protect the environment. We offer a generous benefit package, a collaborative and welcoming work culture, and the structure of local government with the feel of a small, progressive business.
As a processor apprentice you will be trained to:
- Operate equipment, including grapple cranes, front end loaders, yard tractors, trailers, and compactors
- Direct traffic on the facility’s tip floor
- Operate control room functions and monitor conveying systems
- Troubleshoot and address issues with conveying systems to maintain operation
- Handle municipal solid waste including the separation and containment of hazardous, medical, flammable and/or unacceptable waste
- Perform maintenance work in accordance with R&E policy and procedures
- Perform clean-up activities of the processing facility as required or needed
- Comply with the Lockout Tagout policy and procedures when isolating plant equipment
- Keep records up to date as required
- Successfully complete the 2-year Apprenticeship Program
Education: Must possess high school diploma or equivalent. Post high school training preferred.
Other: Must pass R&E Board physical examination and security screening. Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license. Positions in this job class are subject to drug and alcohol testing. Testing negative on required tests is a condition of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to work well with others and possess good interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work from scaffolding and catwalks in high and confined areas
- Must have the mechanical ability and physical dexterity to operate a grapple crane, front end loader, yard tractor, conveying systems, and power tools. Must be able to operate a fork lift, skid loader and other similar equipment
- Must be familiar with hydraulic equipment, air tools and various hand tools
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds regularly
- Must be able to physically qualify for use of respirator equipment
- Work is physical, requiring frequent bending, twisting, stooping, kneeling, crouching, climbing, walking, standing and reaching
Pay for this position starts at $26.97 per hour with regular increases as you proceed through the apprentice program. The rate upon completion of the program is $33.72 per hour. R&E also offers shift differential rate of $1.55 per hour when working the second shift and $2.25 per hour when working the overnight shift.
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer-paid life insurance, employer-paid short- and long-term disability insurance and tax-deferred compensation. Employees of Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy participate in the Minnesota Public Employees Retirement Association (P.E.R.A.) pension plan. Both the employee and the employer make contributions in accordance with current legislative requirements.
Position will remain open until filled.
A detailed job description can be found here.
1. Complete the employment application
2. Send job application to Human Resources through one of the following methods:
- Email completed application to HR@recyclingandenergy.org, or
- Mail or hand-deliver completed application to the R&E Center Human Resources Department at 100 Red Rock Road, Newport, MN 55055
The application is a fillable PDF. Click here to learn how to use fillable PDFs. You may also print the application and complete it.
Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy provides equal access to employment, programs and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, public assistance or national origin.